Here’s a look at what you can do before the storm hits:
- Prepare an emergency kit and create a family communications plan.
- Familiarize yourself with hurricane evacuation routes in your area and how to find higher ground. Determine where you would go and how you would get there if you needed to evacuate.
- Trim the trees and shrubs around your home to make them more wind resistant.
- Clear loose and clogged rain gutters and downspouts.
- Bring in all outdoor furniture, decorations, garbage can and anything else that is not tied down.
- If in a high-rise building, be prepared to take shelter below the 10th floor.
- Consider installing a generator for emergency backup power generation.